Sunday, July 20, 2014

My 5 Marathon Training Checklist

When someone gets to know that I am a full marathoner, they automatically give an impression of amazement. I hear comments like “Wow, ang galing mo naman!”, “Di nga ako makatakbo ng isang kilometro, eh.”, “Puro takbo yan, pwede bang maglakad?”,”Hindi ko yan kaya.”,  and so on.

These comments make me ask myself “Paano ko nga ba yun nagagawa?”. It also amazes and surprises me that I am actually great. Well, I do not really know how. Maybe it is my gift.

So here I list down the things that I do to prepare for a marathon. Maybe this will  help you as well in your marathon training. Just be reminded that I am no professional coach and these are based on my experiences and my body type and ability.

(1)  Eye for a Race. Anticipate race schedules in the country like Milo Marathon Manila Eliminations which is usually during the last weekend of July. This gives me time to prepare for it and ensure that I will successfully register.



(2) Plot a Training Plan in Your Calendar. Like any planning of your schedules, this will give you time to arrange and prioritize things. Training period will take months and it is unavoidable that you need to engage your time for your school, work, friends and family. Planning your training will ensure that you meet your mileage requirements for the week without sacrificing your social life.



(3) The Physical Training Itself. There is that ideal training for marathoners. But this may be altered depending on your level as a runner (beginner or experienced) and the time you can commit to training. As for me, I have very limited time for training so I only stick with these basics – run scheduling and progressive mileage.



(a)  Stick with the Schedule. Basic schedules are weekday maintenance run and weekend long run. Weekday Maintenance Run is running in shorter distance and time. This should ideally be done 2-3 times alternate days in a week. This enables the body to remember about the physical potential effects of running. While Weekend Long Run is running longer in distance and time. These depend on how far you are from the race day (if it is months or just weeks). This is the core of the training that is for endurance, so this one should not be missed. In summary, it is important to have regular runs weekly than no training at all. Also remember that a run is a run. I believe that it cannot be compensated with other exercises, when it comes to preparation for a marathon.

(b)  Progressive Mileage. This describes more of the weekend long runs. Months away from the race I start with shorter distance and time, usually 8-10km. And then gradually increase by 2-3km every week until it reached 32-34km, three weeks before the race. After which is the tapering period, where I run shorter distance in reverse progressive until the race day.

(4)  Meal Plan. I do not have a very strict diet per se, and also not slimming down. What I eat up are those necessary for my workout. Again basics!



(a)  I eat at least 2 hours before a workout. Give your body something to burn or you’ll burnout and faint.

(b) For main meal, I focus more on eating protein like soya, eggs, fish chicken and beef, because I need more muscles. I eat less of rice, pork, oily, too sweet and salty foods. For snacks are camote, banana, fruits, veggies, and fiber-rich foods like oatmeal and whole wheat bread. And of course, pasta my favorite during carbo-loading days. I believe these foods enhanced my nutrition level. But like any human, I also have my cheat days.

(c)   At least, a day before the race it is a must to carbo-load to have sufficient energy. You will be losing at least 3,000 calories in a full marathon. I eat as much of complex carbohydrates 10-12 hours before the race and light meals every 3 hours thereafter. The same goes with hydration. I drink as much water with electrolyte. But do not over-hydrate. Everything that is in excess is bad.

(d)  Lastly, take care of your immune system. I take food supplements to boost my immune system. You will not like sickness to ruin everything. It is always better to take precautions.


(5) Look for Running Buddies. A full marathon is no joke. Running buddies will make your race more successful as you have a company during training and actual race. These people will be your support group as you share the same goal in running. So every time you think about quitting, you may feel ashamed of yourself when your friends are waiting for you at 3 AM on a Sunday LSD morning, and re-assess your life choices.


With all these things in mind, there is one thing that should be not be absent – always love and enjoy running unconditionally. Without it, there is no chance you will get up in an unholy hour to practice. This is what makes the discipline special. Running is more of a mental game. If you think you cannot do it, then most likely you can never really do it.





No comments:

Post a Comment