Friday, July 18, 2014

Experience Eleanor and Park

Author: Rainbow Rowell
Release: February 2013

In my age now, I am falling for young adult novels, because probably young life is not too complicated as adult relationships. When you love, it’s simply because you love your person. Not because of the standards the world has set for you.

Who would not want love and youth? It is one great feeling and experience you will never forget. This is what this story will take you to, back into those times when love is young and pure.

“I want everyone to meet you. You're my favorite person of all time.” - Park



Park Sheridan is Korean-American young man who is lucky to have happy and cool parents. He tries to fit in where everybody else his age is in (peer pressure), but he remained faithful to his values.

He met red-haired Eleanor Douglas in their school bus. She is weird in the eyes of the world’s so-called normal kids. But Park find her interesting, for unexplained reason.

What are the chances you’d ever meet someone like that? he wondered. Someone you could love forever, someone who would forever love you back? And what did you do when that person was born half a world away? The math seemed impossible.” 
- Park


The two exchanged non-verbal messages in the beginning, with Park provided Eleanor comics and music. No words spoken. The romance between them grows as they exchange breaths that later become words.

But as any young romance would be, there are struggles in the family and in school. The book also notes on teenage drama – broken family, abusive step-dad, poverty, bullying, peer pressure, etc.

“I don't like you, Park," she said, sounding for a second like she actually meant it. "I..." - her voice nearly disappeared - "think I live for you."
He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
"I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered. "Which means, when I see you on Monday morning, it's been like sixty hours since I've taken a breath. That's probably why I'm so crabby, and why I snap at you. All I do when we're apart is think about you, and all I do when we're together is panic. Because every second feels so important. And because I'm so out of control, I can't help myself. I'm not even mine anymore, I'm yours, and what if you decide that you don't want me? How could you want me like I want you?"
He was quiet. He wanted everything she'd just said to be the last thing he heard. He wanted to fall asleep with 'I want you' in his ears.” 
- Eleanor

Despite all these dramas, the cuteness and authenticity of these two characters shines outstandingly.

Eleanor and Park will remind of your firsts – blushing, palpitations, skin interactions, eye-to-eye contact, breath exchanges, sleepless nights, holding hands and kissing with the one you love.


Wrapping up, entertainment-wise this book is engaging. It will make you smile for some lines and will make you “aaawww”. The story is simple, effortless and so wholesome. I’m not sure if I’ll watch a movie adaptation with Kathniel as lead stars. If you look for a story that will chill you up, then sit with this one and sip your tea or coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment