Sunday, March 8, 2015

Reminiscing My First Full Mary - The Bull Runner Dream Marathon (Part 2 of 2)

I'm Polen and I'm a Marathoner! Wooohooo...

Whoa, I never meant to brag! But I got it where I want it now!
Whoa, it was never my intention brag to say it all away to you now!

But God, does it feels so good ‘cause I got it where I want it now!

And if you could then you know you would ‘cause God, it just feels soIt just feels so good!!!

(edited lyrics taken from misery business by paramore)


The Marathoner
photo credits: Abby

Itinerary

-8:00      (‘till gun start) Pasta loading, Snow White and the Huntsman

-6:00      pack-up for the race, unwanted hair wipe off, bath time, poop time, The Walking Dead, pasta loading again (half serving)

-4:00      departure

-3:30      arrival at R.O.X BGC, bus pick up here and waited another 1 hour to depart, bread loading

-1:30      arrival at Nuvali, change costume, check in baggage, meet barangay TBR, picture picture

  0:00      Gun start, this is it!

My First Full Mary in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…

Someone asked me, “how do you plan to run your first marathon?” I just answered, “I’ll stop in every water station”. But the truth is, I don’t have a plan. What else to do but join my TBR batch mates-friends and let them lead me through it.

The first half I would say is the best. We do our 3:1 run/walk as we usually practice at a moderate pace (I think it’s 7-7:30), except for up hills where we shift to 1:1, and then attack the down hills. Moreover, we enjoy the flashing lights of the cameras, capturing photos of the happiest marathoners in the world.
Happiest marathoners in the world!
credits: Photovendo
The second half become tough, although it has the same route, we are somewhat tired here. At almost half of Nuvali Blvd, coach Raffy, began to suffer from his ITBS injury and opted to run on his own. More kilometers passed before we reached the right turn to Merriam College, Dok Japo also slowed down and run on his own as he could not catch up with our pace anymore.

The three of us continued (Me, Eda and Abby). I have a lot more to give. I am also surprised how strong I become this day. I am usually burned out at 26th kilometer. But at this point, I felt that my bladder is full, so I cheered and aimed to see a portalet ahead. But my dream to pee happened only before running towards Avida Village.

Then after this U-turn to Republic Wake Park, I began to slow down. I could see Eda running farther until I could not see her anymore. I also felt hungry and craving for a solid food. So me and Abby take a quick break at the pumped up station and continued to Nuvali Boulevard.

At this point, I began to appreciate the cheers of the Dream Chasers. Their cheers truly bring back your spirit! And since it’s just me and Abby who’s running together now, we have to cheer each other (para lang kaming tanga, go Abby, go Polen!).

Now it’s last 10km, and it becomes harder. I am not usually a talker, but at this point I felt I needed to chit chat, to keep up with the race. So I tried to start a topic and chat with Abby in my best ability. Until we reached the right turn to Abrio (last 3km), but Abby slowed down, she need to walk.

This is it, I am all alone. And before I enter this loop I catched a smile from coach Lit and I waved to him. This could mean I’m still doing well.  I continued to do 3:1, but at slower pace (8:30-9 maybe). At the start of this last 3km, I still feel great, thinking it would all end in a few minutes. The skies even showered us with few raindrops to ease our tired spirits. I see my friends now coming back – Vincent, Josh, Ynny, Cathy, and Eda. I tried to cheer them, also to distract myself from pain and hunger.

And this loop seems to be crazy longer than the first time we passed it. I ran slower and slower as I approach the U-turn in Solenad. My stomach is growling, I have few Gu Chomps left. Good thing, Team Boring was at the end of the tunnel (I felt I’ve come from total darkness). They offer happy foods (choki choki and jelly ace). I choose jelly ace, this is a mountaineer’s food and I get an “A” in tearing the packaging (ang galing ko daw kasi magbukas, kaso yun 2nd time napahiya na’ko). And then there was soda in the next tent. Oh I love pepsi!

A few more meters of very slow running and walking, then I see the final right turn back to Nuvali Boulevard. The cheerers are there (I don’t know who are they) saying, “last 100 meters”. My mind was contemplating, should I run this fast-paced or just finish it relaxed? A few more steps as I entered the last 100m zone, my legs on its own (it could be real) run off as fast as it could. And as I reach closer to the finish line I saw Craig Logan cheering for me as I finish strong. . Then I heard Ate Lot and Doc’s voices. I felt so happy to see them.

And the finish line looks blurred. My mind was like, “this is it! What to do, what to do?”, “hold that ribbon thing!” “oh yes, the sash!”, “smile on the camera!”, “get the medal from the matador!” (nataranta na’ko). I do not even noticed that the TBR dream team was there. I was so on a high, it’s funny I don’t know what to do next. Then a girl handover me a wet towel (oh so great, this one’s the best – wala nito sa ibang races). And then another gave me a dry bath towel with 1L blue bolt Gatorade (another best, and my favorite Gatorade flavor!). And finally (maybe) the girl (or the camera approached me) asked me to say my name, and then I’m a marathoner (I’m glad I get it right, despite me like being stoned). And then the rest is all happiness! :)

The finish line, yehey!

Official Chip Time: 05:42:08 unbelievable! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment