Sunday, March 8, 2015

Reminiscing My First Full Mary - The Bull Runner Dream Marathon (Part 1 of 2)

All I have is Will Power

I have never imagined myself running. In fact, I am so lousy at it. As a child, I often get my knees wounded as I fall badly from games that involves running. So why run?


When I begin joining races, it's more of a rebel act on my part. I wanted to do something else than working and climbing a mountain. It's more of "just to say I have a hobby" thinking.


But as I run and exposed myself to the running community, my vision about it is continuously changing. Although, I do not have a specific reason for doing it (not even for health), running gives me a sense of freedom. When I run, my mind is clear and empty. I would only think about the present and how I would survive each race. And yes it hurts most of the time, a sweet pain! :)


The Shift


They say, when you finished a marathon, it will change your life. I hope it will really do.


I was still addicted to mountain climbing back then, when I started to run my first 5km at the NatGeo Earth Day Run 2011. It was just a support to my friend who wanted the souvenir shirt badly. After that, a sudden shift came after climbing Mount Apo. At that time, climbing mountains does not give me much pleasure anymore. So I tried running and registered for a 10km, after I got inspired by my friend G, who is often the weakest in hiking. I thought if she could do a 10km run, I could do the same and even faster (thanks G for inspiring me). This is followed doing 16km, 21km, 32km and even trail of 10km running. After a year, I now feel brave enough to be facing my farthest test and hopefully not the last - a full marathon!



My marathon journey

1st Half Mary w/NBS TakBolts


The Bull Runner Dream Marathon

Ms. Jaymie Pizarro is the Bull Runner. Oh yes, she's a (gorgeous) lady! My FB friend - M, has been following her, so I get to know about her and this event - The Bull Runner Dream Marathon. This race is created especially for the first and second time marathon dreamer. I heard positive feedbacks and I thought that it would be nice to experience my first full marathon here.


So I waited for the very early pre-registration which is 6 months prior the event. I wake up at 5AM as announced and checked online to find out that the site crashed! It was re-scheduled and signing up closed in as fast as 30 minutes after registration was opened.


The registration fee of 3,000Php this year, I think is worth. They provide lectures, training guide, and discounts with selected brands of sports gear (Sadly, I was not able to fully utilize these privileges). Plus, I am looking forward for the overwhelming hydration and foodies on the race day. And of course the support of TBR Alumni and friends. This could be the best 1st 42km race one would experience.



Consistent Training is the Key


The gym has been opened since I started working here (NBS), but I have enrolled only 2 years later. I really don't exercise even when I started mountain climbing. Sir Orly even asked me, "san mo kinukuha ang lakas mo?", I really don't know, all I have is will power!


When I joined my first 10km race was the time I enrolled to the gym. This has become my basic training for at least 2x a week - 30 minutes treadmill, mini weight lifting, and core workout. Lucky that I am skinny, I don't need much sweat just a bit of pain and I'm good. But even these simple things I skipped at times during peak days at work and when I have a period.


I become very excited when I received my marathon kit which includes a training program. But I did not follow it! I am a procrastinator queen, which is a deadly sin for a marathon wannabe.


In the first 3 months of the training, I did my usual gym training and have joined some races. I do very short (5-10km) and seldom runs on weekends. I have not attended the Bull Sessions either due to conflict of schedule and most of the time I get lazy because I do not have a company that will train with me. I asked some friends but they could not just commit their time. I get frustrated and thought of quitting.


All or Nothing - Barely 7 Weeks to Go!


But before my total surrender, I gave myself one last chance.


After all the Christmas preparations and celebrations, I visited the TBRDM group page and read the posts to see what others have been doing with their training. Then I saw a post of Belle Lim calling out to the dreamers who want to do LSD at CCP. At first I was hesitant to join. Although I did not quit my gym exercise and short runs totally (I supposed to have a little confidence left), I thought of things like - what if I could not catch up with them? is it too late for me to train?


I erased all my hesitations and typed in the comment box "can I join?" and press enter, while I shut my eyes as if sending my comment with prayers. My rusty social skills should better work this time! I need this!


And then that week, my training began while everybody else is already halfway of it. I should be terribly nervous by then, but as I said, "all I have is will power!"



After LSD training at Nuvali w/TBR batchmates


Last 3 Days


I am not the most prepared participant (I am actually under-trained), but I am pretty much confident that I will still be alive at the finish line. I am really excited, since three weeks ago! But there is a question hanging in my head in this last week before the race, "what will it be after 42.195km?"

No comments:

Post a Comment