Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Going Further: The 6th Tagaytay to Nasugbu 50km Ultra Run

After finishing a full marathon, running 50km is tempting. But joining the 6thTagaytay to Nasugbu 50km Ultra run has been the most uncertain race I’ve ever joined. There had been lot of road blocks in training and health issues. But I think in anything that we do in life, mostly our drive to push through is the key to finish it.
This race is organized by Jovie Narcise (aka Bald Runner), a retired General Major of the AFP and an ultra-marathon enthusiast. It is said that this race has the easiest route among his organized races, starting from Tagaytay Park and finishes at Nasugbu, Batangas. The road is a combination of mostly up-hills in the first half and mostly down-hills towards the second half.

The race started at 4am with 70 runners and a short orientation and picture taking happened before the gun start. All runners were advised to run in one line only and on the left side facing the approaching vehicles for safety purpose. It is also mandatory to carry a head lamp and/or wear a reflectorized vest, since it is too dark at this time of the day. I have not anticipated that it is scary to run on a hi-way at this time. Not only because of the vehicles passing but paranoia tells me that at any moment, someone could just grab and do me harm. So in the best of my ability, I tried to pace with my co-runners in my fear to be left behind in the dark.
After 2 hours the sun is coming up and I feel more confident in the light. The view is becoming more pleasing. I see the beautiful Taal Lake. The wind is still cold, just right to ease the pain of running. Few more minutes later I reached the Tagaytay-Nasugbu boundary with an arc saying “welcome to Nasugbu”. Here marked the 20th km, according to one of participants with a gps watch.

I feel more confident to run, since the sun is already up, though my calves started to hurt at half-way of the race. It’s too early to be injured, yet the pain is still manageable. I just look forward to seeing Emi’s car on the other side, for it means I have few minutes of rest.
The sun heat is also beginning to be felt on my skin, but luckily the clouds cover it from time to time. I see other runners going further away from me until I don’t see them anymore. They are all gone but these 3 guys, one with his colorful shirt printed with “team dimples” with his buddy wearing a “candy rush” shirt, and the fat guy (according to Orlan), he’s the one with the gps watch and a backpack, solo runner (no back-up), I kept on passing on them and they pass on me at times. We greeted each other sometimes. I tried to be nice, but I’m not in the mood to make friends with them. I usually don’t talk especially during a race.

After 20 more km, my left foot and calf is badly hurting. The sun heat becomes terrible. I plan to slowly jog throughout few meters until I see Emi’s car again. But the pain is unbearable that I walked more and more, slowing me down. Sir Orlan massages my legs and foot, that I’m forever thankful to him, while Emi is spraying me cold water all over my face and body.

I survived another 5km, and the last 5 my left leg is already crying, maybe swimming in tears. I am decided to walk these last 5km. I did not stop at the car anymore, because I cannot think of anything else to eat or to ask for any remedy for my leg. Though Sir Orlan massages it and put ice on, the pain keeps coming back. I wanted to jog, but the road becomes busy and narrow for both runners and vehicles. I could not use the sidewalk either; it has lots of pebbles hurting my feet and legs more. I really feel demotivated at this time. It’s already the 7th hour and my personal target is 7.5 hrs. I could not possibly reach the finish line with this leg with 5km to go.
So I walk straight 2km, until I reached the loop at the Shell gas station which I thought was the last km. So I run here, I used the sidewalk with grass on it,a perfect surface to run on for hurting legs. Then I my spirit died again to know that I am still 2km away. I walked again, though the locals I passed on told me to run as the finish line is near. I stopped thinking about the time and how far I am from the finish line. Until I see the sign board saying “Petron 500m”. I continue to walk and plan to finish walking.

But when I see sir Jovie at the finish line, he was calling me to come near. My legs though hurting, automatically jog towards him. I heard the cow’s bell, signaling that a runner is coming and has completed the race.


At some point of the race, I become very emotionally discouraged and think back when I choose other things to do than train. I feel regretful that I did not give much in training so I deserve this pain. But at the finish line, everything vanishes and thought that I am still blessed. I felt so much happiness. I forget all the physical and mental pain. I am thankful for all – my family and friends who supported me from training to the actual race. I could not have done it without them.

I must say, an ultramarathon is another discipline and a very different one. It requires more training physically and mentally, as well as support from people who should understand very well what this is about. If I would be asked, will I run again this far or even go further? I could not really tell. I cannot say no, because I could not hate running. But saying yes has a lot of things to consider. So for this time, I have to park this question. One thing for sure is that I will run as long as I can.







No comments:

Post a Comment